Your no-frills guide to the season’s best bags
No gloss, no dross. Just a few simple reasons why you need these bags in your life – because we think these beauties are more than capable of talking for themselves…
Jacquemus Le Baci tote
1. It’s inspired by Simon Porte Jacquemus’ childhood memories of the South of France.
2. It’s made from woven and fringed raffia and comes in micro, medium, or XXL sizes (coming soon to Selfridges).
3. The supersized version (if you haven’t seen it: where have you been?) was the most Instagrammed bag of the SS19 shows.
4. The XXL bag is roomy enough to carry all your seaside essentials, from beach towel and SPF to your parasol (well, almost). Eat your heart out, Mary Poppins.
Marni Pannier bag
1. Who doesn’t love the ease and convenience of a slouchy bucket bag?
2. It comes in smooth leather with minimal gold-toned hardware and a discreet logo.
3. Check out that rainbow-striped Plexiglass top handle – so good.
4. The gorgeous Honey hue is just the ticket this summer, pairing brilliantly with this season’s new neutrals.
Paco Rabanne Iconic Chain bag
1. Paco Rabanne has rediscovered its mojo, courtesy of Creative Director Julien Dossena.
2. We can’t get enough of Dossena’s reworked chainmail pieces for SS19.
3. This slinky little number is made from silver-toned metal discs with matching skinny chain shoulder straps.
4. Say hello to your new dancing partner. Just add a LLBD (that’ll be a Little Leather Black Dress) and let the good times roll.
Chloé C bag
1. It’s a future classic, and already a firm favourite with fashion editors and Instagrammers.
2. It’s one of the first bags designed by much-lauded Creative Director Natacha Ramsay-Levi.
3. Crafted in croc-embossed leather with a suede trim, it comes with two straps and is deceptively roomy.
4. The gold metal C has been designed to resemble a horseshoe. Saddle up!
Boyy Bobby bag
1. It’s classic with a masculine twist (that will be the signature giant buckle), and roomy enough for all your essentials.
2. Check out those delicious hues – toffee, vanilla, strawberry, lilac… Salivating? Yes, us too.
3. It was designed as an ‘anti It-bag’ – hence no bling-y logo or hardware.
4. It’s been spotted on model Lou Doillon, model/actress Chloë Sevigny, and Man Repeller’s Leandra Medine (among others).
Mark Cross Benchley rattan bag
1. Founded in 1845, Mark Cross is all about heritage designs that feel distinctly modern.
2. We love its chunky but diminutive proportions, refined hardware, discreet hallmarks, made-in-Italy construction and so-now rattan. And how good is that supersized chain?
3. Each bag’s named after someone linked to the original owner, Patrick Murphy (his friends included Cole Porter, Ernest Hemingway, Grace Kelly, Dorothy Parker, no less). This binoculars bag is named after American writer Robert Benchley.
4. Fans include Alexa Chung, Taylor Swift, Diane Kruger and Stylist Kate Foley.
Gu_De Richie bag
1. From up-and-coming South Korean brand Gu_De (pronounced ‘good’).
2. This glossy Brick version is exclusive to Selfridges (say no more).
3. It’s crafted in embossed croc (a big trend for SS19), with a vintage-style twist lock, a simple top handle and a detachable cross-body strap.
4. If you like structured bags, this cylindrical design is a winner – plus, you’ll be one of only a handful of people wearing it.
Loewe Puzzle bag
1. It’s one of Loewe’s most iconic bags, with A-list fans including the mighty Julianne Moore and Queen Bey.
2. It’s the perfect combo of slouch and structure – plus, the origami-like folds mean it can fold completely flat. Genius.
3. Did you know: it’s made up of 41 pieces of leather stitched together.
4. ”Various tones of green came through on the runway in a big way for AW19. It’s a nice way to add some lightness into the more muted tones,” explains our Womenswear Stylist, Molly Donovan.
Burberry TB bag
1. Part of Riccardo Tisci’s first accessories collection for Burberry. Our advice: get it while you can.
2. We love the all-new polished Thomas Burberry buckle (a complete rework of the classic Burberry logo, in memory of the founder).
3. The timeless shape and style mean it will go on and on and on…
4. It’s basically everything you want a bag to be: cultish, classic, cool, so damn cool.
Acne Baker tote
1. Because anything by cult Scandi label Acne Studios gets a collective ‘yaass’ from us.
2. Grocery-style bags are big news for spring/summer.
3. It’s made from glossy PVC and has a detachable shoulder strap so it ticks the practical box, too.
4. The monochrome image is from the label’s achingly cool magazine archives and adds a graphic edge to everyday staples.
Givenchy GV bag
1. It’s classic with an edge.
2. We love the slouchy style and discreet details – note: the engraved twist clasp and optional antique gold-toned chain.
3. It comes with a detachable shoulder strap, which subtly displays the iconic Double G logo on its buckle.
4. It’s the perfect way to nail that insouciant Parisian look. Just add a sharp blazer, white tee and black skinny jeans, et voilà!
Medea Hanna bag
1. Is it a gift bag? Is it a purse? Who cares when it looks this chic.
2. Three words: Simple. Understated. Practical.
3. The only adornments? A simple gold foil logo, two top handles and a detachable shoulder strap.
4. The punchy orange will add some zing to that beige suit you’ve been eyeing up.
Oh, and look out for our no-nonsense guide to the season’s best shoes on 21 March. That’s your new-season accessories sorted.
[Social Share Buttons]